Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Dreaded Dentist

All my childhood, I saw the same family dentist. We all saw him for years and he was all we ever knew in a dental experience. My parents developed a friendship with the man and they even vacationed together. My parents assured us he was a great guy, but we all knew better.

We knew that he was really the dreaded dentist the took pleasure in our pain. He savored the idea of poking, pulling, and prodding our poor, sensitive child mouths. He deliberately befriended my parents so they wouldn't take our sides.

I hate needles. Always have, always will. Any shot is bad, but a shot in the mouth is downright traumatic. I used to (and still do on occasion) sing/hum to myself to get through dental visits, shots, and anything other than your basic cleaning.

I vividly remember one particular visit. I couldn't even tell you what I was there for, but it required shots. It must have been a filling at the same time as a regular check-up because I was not prepared for any shots. Dr. told me I would need shots and lifted up the syringe. I asked if he would give me a minute so I could mentally prepared myself for what was coming. He denied my request and immediately shoved a needle into my sensitive gums, resulting in tears. WTH! Really?! He was in such a hurry he couldn't have given me another 30 seconds to process the situation?! It was horrible and I have (obviously) not gotten over it.

It wasn't until I went away to college and had to find myself a new dentist that I learned not all dentists are so cold and uncaring. In fact, a visit to the dentist can happen without fear, dread, and tears. My current dentist is great. So for those (many) family members in dental school, please be one of the good ones. I know kids don't always understand or have the most patience, but you can prevent a lifelong fear of the dentist.

Join Mama Kat's writing workshop by clicking here.

11 comments:

Mama Wheaton said...

I feel your pain. I hate the dentist, the needles, the scrapping, the bleeding gums. Nope not for me.

Christina said...

Fortunately, I've had a great dentist most of my life. But there's just something eerie about sitting down in the dental chair.

Kristina P. said...

I hate the dentist too! But I actually have a great dentist now.

Brittany Marie said...

I have a good dentist. Not that he and I have seen each other for over 2 years.

Have you seen "Ghost Town"?

Jessica said...

Never seen Ghost Town. What is it about? I don't do scary movies, is it scary?

Brittany Marie said...

Oh! No, it's a comedy. It has Ricky Gervais in it. He's a dentist (that's why it came up in my comment), but he sees dead people. The dead people figure out he can see them and want him to do stuff for them. It's actually a really funny and sweet movie. I recommend it!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

i am not a dentist person and really need to make an appt...but after so many horror stories, I'm not sure... ;-)

love that you found one you like though...that gives me hope!

Ashli Miller said...

what, is this 8th grade english class free write? remember that? good times! loved it

Jessica said...

Speaking of 8th grade free write, I ran across my free write journal the other day and started reading. Hilarious! Actually it showed how 8th grade was a tough year for me. The story was about murder, blackmail, the mafia, and adultry. Wow, was I messed up!

Julie and Carlos said...

Jessica- Isn't he dead?

Anonymous said...

its Jared, Now that I know how to get to your blog I think i'll comment more. I loved Julie's comment and yes he is dead.I know i've already told you this but I totally agree with you. doctor Young was not a good kids dentist. I like my dentist now too.