Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Test Results

It didn't go well. I left crying and it took all I had to actually send my scores to the schools I have applied to. I'm sure after the drudgery of viewing hundreds of applications, they will appreciate the good laugh my scores will induce.

I'm not being dramatic here either. My scores are below the range of accepted scores for the schools I wanted to attend. When one school says "We rarely accept anyone with a score below X", my score is below X.

It's really disappointing that I don't even have a good reason for why they are so bad. I studied hard for months. I feel like I really did what I reasonable could to prepare. I didn't feel overly nervous while taking it (other than knowing I was doing poorly).

For those of you who know me, know that I am a bit of an overachiever. I just want to be the best at everything I do. Is that too much to ask for? Wait, it is?! Well I refuse to accept that. I'm annoyed that I've never been a good test taker. My scores do not adequately portray my abilities. I'm sure everyone who scores poorly says this, but I really believe it! It's unfortunate that those scores are what I will be judged on.

So my confidence is down, along with my scores. I've shelled out hundreds for study books, practice tests, the actual test, and application fees. My confidence about getting into school is down. I suppose there is still a chance, but it's only that - a chance. I'll let you know in February what the schools say. (sigh)

7 comments:

Erin said...

My husband didn't do well on his GRE to get into grad school. He ended up being accepted into only one program...which made it easy to accept! It ended up being the best choice for us and more than we could have hoped for. I hope you get accepted into one school!

Now go eat something unhealthy for you so you can feel a little better :)

Kristina P. said...

Jessica, I am so sorry. I hope that something works out for you anyway.

Family said...

Stay Positive you never know! Each school has to except a certain amount of people with top scores average scores and lower scores.. Stay Positive!!!

Family said...

Stay Positive you never know! Each school has to except a certain amount of people with top scores average scores and lower scores.. Stay Positive!!!

Nikki said...

I'm so sorry, Jessica, I can imagine how disappointed you are. I really hope things come through for you anyway and you're able to get into a good program. And I'm with Erin - something bad for you will make you feel better...leftover pie?

Meredith & Company said...

Oh No! I am so sorry. I was going to call you yesterday and see how it went. I feel bad. You never know though, sometimes these things have a way of working themselves out. When I got accepted to my Master's, they told me that it was the essay that really sold them. You never know exactly what they're looking for...if they interview you, I'm sure they'll take you in a heartbeat, because what's there not to love!

DeeDee said...

Jess....You are still the smartest person I know! Stupid tests!!! Hope you are okay.