Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Working Girl

It really is happening. I have to go back to work soon. I have to kiss my babies good-bye and drop them off to spend the day with someone else.

This whole time I have been thinking that it won't be too hard. After all, my manager has agreed to letting me job share. I have been mentally preparing for working 3 days a week. I can handle part time! But today I found out that in order to keep my exempt status (a very nice thing) I have to work 30 hours/week. My three days will only give me 24.

Thankfully my manager is great and willing to work with me. She is willing to let me work fewer long days or more shorter days. I can even alternate every other week to get in the hours - as long as it adds up to 60 over the pay period.

But now I'm bummed out. Technically I could say that I don't want to keep my exempt status and just punch the clock. But my manager made it clear that her preference is for me to keep that status. It really is nice to not have to punch the clock, worry about having lunch go a little long or being a few minutes late. But I didn't want to work 30 hours a week. I only wanted to work 3 days a week. *sigh

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That is a bummer. I hope it works out for you!

Kris said...

Oh Jess, I'm sorry. My heart goes out to you. I've been hysterical over the whole situation for weeks now, so I have compassion. I'll give you the same advice you gave me... don't make any drastic decisions for at least a month. It'll be ok.

Jessica G. said...

Oh, no! My sister-in-law went through the same thing with her job. Is the 30 hours temporary? She only had to work that schedule for a couple months.

Riddle Girl said...

Not fun choices to make. I know your pain...Give yourself time and prayer to make the decision and you will KNOW what is best for you and the girls.

Erin said...

That is so frustrating. I hope it will be okay for you! Good luck.