Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Kids Run

JM is a runner. He has worked really hard to increase his distance and speed. A few years ago he ran a half marathon and he is hoping to build up to a full marathon by the end of the year. I, however, have never had much interest in running.

A local venue posted details on its half marathon along with a 5K and a kids 1 mile run. JM signed up for the half and we decided to sign up BG for the kids run. She has been really excited and we talked to her about training. We bought her new running shoes and I started training with her. We alternated running and walking around the block and built up to 1 mile. Blanche has even gotten into it and asks to go running. (It must be really fun to go running when you get to sit in a stroller.)

The day of the big race came. BG was so excited. She talked about getting a trophy. We talked about how it's most important to try your best and have fun. In the end, she did a really good job. I ran with her and she ran a good portion of it. During the race, a few times she said "I feel like I want to give up, but I know I have to keep going." I cheered her on and the aid station half way through helped.

She LOVED that she got a metal. She has been wearing it non-stop. We looked up her time online afterward. She ran the mile in 15:08. She was 30th in her division (F ages 0-6) and 187th overall. We were all really proud of her. She had fun and wants to run another.




2 comments:

Heather said...

Good job to all of you!!! I love BG's face holding her medal, so cute!

Mary said...

The hubby and I were just talking about starting the boys training on running! BG looks so proud, as she should!